Saturday, June 21, 2008

Our little catastrophe

At the park last night, I caught Brandt out of the corner of my eye stumble while running on the concrete path and land (without any hands there to break the fall) on his face. He was bleeding profusely and as I lifted his upper lip, I was horrified to see that one of his front teeth was jacked straight back. The pictures are not for the faint of heart so scroll down at your own risk. We conveniently were located right next to an Icee stand where they were quick to supply us with a bag of ice and paper towels to control the bleeding (Thanks for your help Lisa). Of course he is crying, and I am beside myself upset while holding and caring for him. I certainly wasn't saying the terror that I was thinking but I wasn't saying much at all. I'm so glad that Brad was there helping. Brad carried him up to the car and he was crying the whole way. Brad told me later that he kept asking him if it hurt and finally Brandt just said that he was scared. He cried himself to sleep in the car on the ride home.

This is where my failure as a mom comes in. Although I was there caring for him, I wasn't comforting him and telling him everything was going to be alright. Because it was not. It is not alright! That was all I was thinking. This is terrible! How can we fix this! So instead of calming and comforting, I was in sheer panic and shock. I was terrified that my 3-year old child might lose his front tooth and have to go the next 5 years (atleast - both my boys were really late in getting their teeth as babies) with a missing front tooth. I'm thinking of his first day of school and all the pictures he'll take during his childhood. Then my thoughts quickly remember the photo shoot with Mandy McDonald that Charee had scheduled for my kids and hers at the pond this coming Tuesday. (**Which confirms that I am seriously plagued with bad luck. I just bought them their new picture outfits the night before.)

After calling the emergency line for our Dentist on the ride home, I spoke with a no-brainer lady who said that I would just have to wait until Monday and that it will probably just fall out or they would be able to fix it then. I was very insistant with her that that was unacceptable - I needed someone to fix it RIGHT NOW! But finally consented to her prognosis. I just really wanted to atleast speak to my dentist and see what he thought - but no go.

I then called my mother who was quick to COMFORT me and tell me that everything was going to be alright. Exactly what I needed and wanted to hear - although we aren't sure yet that she will be correct. Why couldn't I do that for my son, just tell him it was going to be alright. I was just freaking out in my mind.

We still don't know yet what is to become of this poor little tooth but I pray that "everything will be alright!"



The graphic details.

The morning after - he seems to be chipper and back to his usual self.
Tooth or not - he is still a cutie! Right?!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

OWEEEEE! I am the same way when my children get hurt, I comfort and am helpful but I am also scared spitless myself... He is pretty darn cute!

calawayfamily said...

that is scary I can't believe that happened well I hope hes alright haha well bye!!