Saturday, August 9, 2008

08-08-08

What a great Birthday I had. In case you missed KNDU local news at 6:45 am (I about missed it all myself), Brad sent in a birthday greeting for me and all the early risers to enjoy. You can view it here:



Just after breakfast, Rachel, Lisa and I climbed up Badger Mountain. It was a longer and slightly harder hike than I thought, but very rewarding. We had a lot of fun sweating together! It was getting quite warm. Luckily we had popsicles waiting for us at the bottom of the Mt. **Thanks to Lisa's nieces who watched all the kids at the bottom of the trail at a nice park they have there.


After lunch we headed out to float the Yakima River. After another round of sweating while filling up our tubes in the hot sun, we tied all 10 tubes/boats together and headed in to the murky river water. Rachel, Lisa, Becky and I strapped some life jackets on the kids and headed down the river (with snacks of course). My sister Jody (taking the photo) also came. The float took longer than anticipated - just over 2 hours...but we had so much fun!! I totally recommend it. There were a few "wild rapids" that gave us a little excitement and some tears, but it kept it lively. We got out just as the dark clouds rolled in with a lightening display. But we weren't worried, because Brad had shared one of his little known facts with us that lightening would just flow through us while on the river and we wouldn't be electrocuted. Also, if you were on a rubber tube - you had no need to worry. Luckily we didn't have to try out these unfactual claims. **Thanks to my mother for watching Macey and not calling Emergency Services when we didn't show up on time, even when I didn't wear a life jacket myself as she suggested. And thanks to Vernon for getting all our tubes loaded up and a ride back up to the parking lot.


Brad arranged for my sister-in-law Angela to watch the baby for us while we went to Cedars for dinner. It was so so good. I had only been there once before, and the salmon was divine. He chose well. Thanks also for my good friends who sacrificed to join me in my festivities, and we missed those who couldn't make it.
I can't say that my passed birthdays have always been the best day of the year, but this Olympic event we held on 08/08/08 was certainly worth Gold!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Wendy, thanks for planning such a fun birthday, and thanks for inviting me to go with you. Sorry for the hold up on the river float, but I think it worked out ok. I had a great time and am excited to go again anytime. 8-08-08 will be a day to remember!

Eric and Carrie said...

sounds like it was a lot of fun. we should float the river while i'm home!

Ashton & Co. said...

Looks like a fun birthday to remember! That was a cute ditty on the news- how nice of Brad. Sounds like you had a great day. I love the video of Macey in the tub. She is so cute!

Anneka @ Anniesays-Anniedoes said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a party.. wish I could plan such fun birthdays for myself. Hope you have fun at Priest Lake!

Bates Family said...

Sounds like you had a great birthday. You look fabulous and only a few months after the baby...you're amazing. I'll be in town next week if you want to get together. I'd love to see your baby and boys. Sheri